Learn how to meet the needs of English language learners in a wide variety of settings.
The Van Loan School offers an M.Ed. in International Education with ESL Concentration through a blended program of online and face-to-face studies, with summer courses in these locations:
- Bangkok, Thailand at Bangkok International Preparatory and Secondary School
- Prague, the Czech Republic at The Open Gate School
*From summer 2019, this program will be offered exclusively in Madrid
The Master of Education in International Education with a concentration in Teaching English as a Second Language is designed to assist classroom teachers, administrators, and educational specialists to maximize the performance of diverse student populations in international schools abroad and in domestic schools with multicultural student bodies. This M.Ed. concentration is appropriate for those currently teaching ESL and for seasoned and novice educators seeking to enhance their knowledge and competence in theoretical and practical methods of teaching English as a second language. Educators teaching in English across disciplines, cultures, and content areas will gain critical competence in improving the achievement of second language learners.
The program has been designed to allow you to complete your degree within a reasonable period of time while continuing your international work.
*From January 2019, a newly designed Program of Studies Timetable will be introduced for all the international M.Ed. programs which will offer:
- Less summer time commitment - 3 face-to-face summer courses (currently 4), for 2 summers
- Lower summer study accommodation and living expenses - 3 weeks, rather than 4, for 2 summers
- Less stress during online courses - each course is studied individually
Those students beginning their studies with an online course in January 2019 will be able to complete the M.Ed. in 16 months.
The courses offered in the M.Ed. programs will remain unchanged.
Note: The International Education/ESL concentration is not linked to Massachusetts teacher licensure.
Program of Study
Upon completion of the program, students will:
- Discover and articulate a personal philosophy of leadership
- Develop a repertoire of strategies to communicate with individuals who represent different cultural and linguistic groups
- Attain techniques in teaching English as a second language including analyzing students' levels of English skills; methods of teaching reading comprehension; methods of teaching writing skills; and methods of increasing students' ability to speak English
- Demonstrate knowledge of multicultural and multilingual issues
- Identify and analyze trends and issues related to the role of leaders in international and multilingual school settings
Required CurriculumIED 504 - Theories in Curriculum DesignIED 509 - Language Diversity in EducationIED 512 - Assessment and EvaluationIED 521 - Methods of Teaching English as a Second LanguageIED 522 - Intercultural CommunicationIED 530 - Linguistics and Language AcquisitionIED 540 - Using Technology in ESL AcquisitionIED 570 - Clinical Experience in ESLIED 573 - Reflective Seminar: International EducationIED 574 - Research ProjectIED 580 - Innovative Methods in EducationIED 582 - Research Methods
Total Degree Requirements - 36 credits
View academic catalog and learning outcomes
Internships and Careers
An education from the Van Loan School of Graduate and Professional Studies at Endicott College means you'll have access to premiere career resources—long after you graduate.
Whether you're finishing your undergraduate study, adding new credentials, or working toward a new career path, you'll find resources through our Internship and Career Center to help you get where you want to go. From career advising to resume support, we're here to prepare you for your next step.