Develop the skill and experience for a leadership role in the administration of a college, university, nonprofit agency, or school.
Leadership in higher education institutions requires creativity, flexibility, strategic thinking, an entrepreneurial stance, and a respect for student-centered institutions. Our Ed.D. in Educational Leadership with a concentration in Higher Education will help you build your expertise as a leader and make a difference in the field.
Our Ed.D. in Educational Leadership in Higher Education offers:
- A highly personalized approach: A small student cohort keeps the student /teacher ratio low and the level of support high. You will develop career-long professional relationships.
- Apprenticeship experience: A unique apprenticeship offers the chance to experience new perspectives, build a professional network, expand career options, and add the next skill level in leadership.
- Blended learning environment: Excellent online courses combined with in-person learning experiences provide you with high-quality, flexible learning, as well as opportunities to develop relationships and long-term partnerships.
Interested in trying one of our classes before applying? Email Dr. Lynne Celli, program director, at email@example.com.
Program of Study
Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of higher education's history and major developments with an emphasis on small and mid-size colleges and universities.
- Demonstrate a mastery of the knowledge and skills necessary for senior administrative and leadership roles in higher education.
- Apply effective and thoughtful research skills to representative decisions typical of those required of higher education leaders; including academic and student life issues.
- Demonstrate mastery of specializations within the professional and senior level administrative skills.
- Demonstrate the critical inquiry and analysis skills needed to engage at the doctoral level in intellectual discourse within their area of interest.
- Complete an original research dissertation in an area of study that will enhance the scholarship of the field of higher education.
- Demonstrate collaborative attitude and behavior as a member of a cohort team.
- Develop a disposition that embraces diverse perspectives, is open to multiple world views, and value driven leadership practices.
Required CurriculumEDL 701 - History and Administration of Small CollegesEDL 715 - Research Methods I: QualitativeEDL 720 - Transformational Leadership in Contemporary EducationEDL 725 - Diversity, Access, and Equity in EducationEDL 735 - Research Methods II: QuantitativeEDL 738 - Ethical Leadership in EducationEDL 746 - Finance, Budget, and OperationsEDL 752A - Research Methods III: Program Evaluation/Action ResearchEDL 755A - Dissertation Study Part IEDL 755B - Dissertation Study Part IIEDL 755C - Dissertation Study Part IIIEDL 760 - Student Development: History and IssuesEDL 762 - Leading in a Technological WorldEDL 764 - Theories and Practice in Academic LeadershipEDL 768 - Teaching, Learning & Institutional Culture in Higher EducationEDL 771A - Administrative Apprenticeship Higher Education: Part IEDL 771B - Administrative Apprenticeship Higher Education: Part IIEXM 700 - Comprehensive Examination
Total Degree Requirements - 51 credits
View academic catalog and learning outcomes
Careers and Internships
An education from the Van Loan School of Graduate and Professional Studies at Endicott College means you'll have access to premiere career resources—long after you graduate.
Whether you're finishing your undergraduate study, adding new credentials, or working toward a new career path, you'll find resources through our Internship and Career Center to help you get where you want to go. From career advising to resume support, we're here to prepare you for your next step.