Developing subject-area middle and high school teachers with advanced skills and knowledge for 21st century education.
Mostly online courses, on your schedule
Get the preparation you need to work in middle and high school classrooms throughout Massachusetts by developing an in-depth understanding of evidence-based practice in secondary education. Utilizing the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks as a guide, you will gain experience with curriculum development and modification to support all learners in your classes.
Upon graduation, you will be eligible to earn an initial license from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in Middle and/or High School (depending on program) in one of the approved subject areas: English, history, political science/philosophy, humanities, biology, chemistry, earth science, physics, general science, and math/science.
- 36 credit program
- Program embraces existing content area expertise
- Courses developed with the needs of adolescents in mind
- Extensive field experiences
- Offers a variety of STEM and Humanities licenses
- Affordable pricing
- Personal Advising
- Networking opportunities and job placement support
Program of Study
Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise
- Design high quality instruction, including authentic and meaningful student assessments
- Analyze student performance and growth data and to use this data to improve instruction and practice
- Teach all students through instructional practices that establish high expectations, a safe and effective classroom environment, and cultural proficiency
- Promote the learning and growth of all students through effective partnerships with families, caregivers, community members, and organizations
- Ensure the learning and growth of all students through ethical, culturally proficient, skilled, and collaborative practice
Required Curriculum: Initial Licensure
As regulated by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the practicum requires 300 hours with a minimum of 100 hours of full responsibility in the role and grade level of the license sought. Students must have their practicum placement, supervising practitioner, and hours approved by Endicott staff before enrolling in the practicum course. Additional hours may be assigned at the discretion of the Dean, Director, Associate Director or Assistant Director.
*Courses required to obtain the Initial licenseEDN 500 - Child and Adolescent DevelopmentEDN 530 - Sheltered English Immersion*EDN 575 - Data LiteracyEDN 570 - Strategies for Classroom ManagementRDL 505 - Adolescent LiteracyRDL 515 - Writing InstructionSEC 530 - Curriculum in Secondary Education*(XXX) 555 - Methods in Secondary Education*SEC 550 - Curriculum and Assessment in Practice: Secondary Education (Pre-Practicum)*SEC 560 - Practicum in Secondary Education*SEC 565 - Reflective Seminar in Secondary Education*SPE 500 - Nature and Needs of Students with Disabilities*SPE 525 - Assistive and Augmentative Technologies
Total Degree Requirements - 36 credits
Required Curriculum: Non-Licensure
*Electives are chosen in consultation with the student's advisor
Electives - 12 cr.EDN 500 - Child and Adolescent DevelopmentEDN 570 - Strategies for Classroom ManagementRDL 505 - Adolescent LiteracyRDL 515 - Writing InstructionSEC 530 - Curriculum in Secondary Education(XXX) 555 - Methods in Secondary EducationSPE 500 - Nature and Needs of Students with DisabilitiesSPE 525 - Assistive and Augmentative Technologies
Total Degree Requirements - 36 credits
View academic catalog and learning outcomes
Internships and Careers
An education from the Van Loan School of Graduate and Professional Studies at Endicott College means you'll have access to premiere career resources—long after you graduate.
Whether you're finishing your undergraduate study, adding new credentials, or working toward a new career path, you'll find resources through our Internship and Career Center to help you get where you want to go. From career advising to resume support, we're here to prepare you for your next step.