Strengthen your foundation in the Montessori approach to education.
As a Montessori teacher, you enrich children’s lives every day. Now expand your knowledge and experience through a holistic study of arts and humanities, education, business, science, and math.
The bachelor's degree in Liberal Studies with a Concentration in Montessori Learning is your opportunity to grow your career. Our flexible, online accelerated degree-completion program is designed to meet the challenges of balancing work, family, and school.
The bachelor's degree curriculum in liberal studies and psychology builds upon the education you already have as a Montessori educator, with an innovative online program that draws on arts and humanities, education, business, science, and math.
Program of Study
Upon completion of the program, students will:
- Effectively communicate in writing and through oral communication
- Demonstrate the critical inquiry and analysis skills needed to engage constructively in intellectual discourse in various disciplines.
- Recall and apply the basic foundational knowledge of educational studies as delivered through the Baccalaureate Core|
- Articulate the connections and distinctions between and among liberal arts disciplines, and their contemporary relevance.
- Design, execute, and present a personal project, which synthesizes and applies, selected knowledge, skills and experiences appropriate to the students' personal and professional goals and/or their chosen area of specialization
In addition to fulfilling the outcomes of the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies program, students completing the concentration in Montessori Education will:
- Enhance student writing and critical thinking regarding the Montessori Method
- Develop skills in action research
- Identify and describe intrinsic motivation as it applies to themselves as teachers and students
- Understanding the role of democracy in establishing the current public and private education system
- Assess the influence of culture on educational objectives
World Cultures Course - 3 cr.
Aesthetic Awareness & Creative Expression Course - 3 cr.
Literary Perspectives Course - 3 cr.
Individual and Society Course - 3 cr.
Values & Ethical Reasoning Course - 3 cr.
Science & Technology Course - 3 cr.
Global Issues Course - 3 cr.
Liberal Studies Elective* - 3 cr.
General Education Electives - 18 cr. (at least three 300 level or higher)
Open Electives - 36 cr.BUS 120 - Business Fundamentals ICMM 306 - Social Impact of the MediaEC 350 - Career TransitionsENG 111 - Critical Reading and Writing IENG 112 - Critical Reading and Writing IILST 489 - Senior Thesis ILST 490 - Senior Thesis IIMTH 126 - Applied StatisticsPOL 213 - American Government and PoliticsPSY 100 - General PsychologyORSOC 101 - Introduction to Sociology
*Liberal Studies Electives
Foreign Language Course - 3 cr.LST 121 - Introduction to Gender StudiesLST 210 - Gender and ScienceLST 350 - Male Images in Story and Film
Required Concentration CoursesLST 100 - Seminar in Academic InquiryPSY 200 - Childhood and Adolescent PsychologyED 101 - Introduction to EducationEDM 200 - Culture and IdentityEDM 300 - Education and DemocracyEDM 400 - Action Research
Total Number of Credits Required for Concentration - 18 credits
Total Degree Requirements - 126 credits
View academic catalog and learning outcomes
Internships and Careers
An education from the Van Loan School of Graduate and Professional Studies at Endicott College means you'll have access to premiere career resources—long after you graduate.
Whether you're finishing your undergraduate study, adding new credentials, or working toward a new career path, you'll find resources through our Internship and Career Center to help you get where you want to go. From career advising to resume support, we're here to prepare you for your next step.
Assessment of Prior Learning (APL)
Real-life experience that counts towards your degree! You may complete a three-credit Assessment of Prior Learning (APL) course, in which you can gain as many as 30 credits toward your degree by demonstrating understanding and experience gained in your Montessori teaching careers.